Expression of Interest – Rural Alberta Freelance Multimedia Journalists April 17, 2017
The Alberta Rural Physician Action Plan (RPAP) is seeking expressions of interest from freelance multimedia journalists to tell the tales of Alberta’s rural communities as they strive to meet the health care needs of their diverse populations. Since 1992, RPAP has been one of Canada’s more comprehensive nongovernmental organization programs for the education, attraction and retention of rural health service providers, with an emphasis on physicians, to work in rural Alberta. As Alberta’s health system evolves, the Ministry of Health has asked RPAP to develop services beyond physicians to include allied health professions including nurses, nurse practitioners, occupational and physical therapists, midwives and paramedics. RPAP’s role in rural continuing education is expanding. Moving forward, this transition is an enormous opportunity for RPAP to better serve a broader constituency, and to achieve solutions to broad health workforce issues in Alberta’s rural, remote, and indigenous communities.
The ideal candidates will be based in the rural and remote regions of Alberta, outside of Calgary and Edmonton. Having a passion for rural life and telling Alberta stories is a must. Knowledge of the issues surrounding health care professional attraction and retention within rural communities will be an asset. It is critical that candidates be sociable, and able to build relationships within the diverse rural communities served. A diploma or degree and/or experience in Communications, Journalism, and/or Digital Communications and Media, is desired.
The successful candidate must possess:
- Superior writing skills, excellent spelling, grammar, and punctuation, and an ability to write long and short-form print stories.
- Demonstrated proficiency in photography and video, and a knowledge of multimedia reporting.
- An understanding of layout and a working knowledge of Adobe InDesign and Photoshop.
- The ability to shoot and edit video for online stories, and access to Adobe Creative Cloud, Final Cut Pro, or iMovie.
- Computer and social media savvy, with an understanding of social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.
- Access to a smart phone and know how to use it to share stories instantly through multiple social media platforms.
- A valid driver’s license, reliable vehicle, and their own DSLR camera with HD video capability.
- The flexibility to also work evenings and weekends.
- The ability to work independently and to immediately file stories online and update as necessary under the direction of the Director, Marketing and Communications.
These are part-time contract positions, hours and compensation negotiable, for the term of one year with the option of renewal. The roles will be based in rural Alberta. We will be accepting applications from interested parties for these contract roles until they are filled with a preferred start date in May 2017. To apply in complete confidence, please send a cover letter and resume to;
Attention Collette Featherstone; Collette.Featherstone@rpap.ab.ca
We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for further consideration or an interview will be contacted.